Most RV owners want to know one thing when choosing a roof: which are the best RV roof coatings, and why? There are a number of different products on the market today, which can seem intimidating to even the most seasoned RV owner. However, each has its place and purpose. You can learn a lot about the best products by looking at the leading brands and what they offer for coatings, sealants, and other roofing products and supplies.
Although no two brands are the same, the best RV roof coatings do have similar features that make them stand out among the rest. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are looking for the best coating for your RV roof:
- Multi-use Option: Although there are material-specific products on the market, coatings that are designed for use with multiple materials will typically give you the most universal uses. The best products don’t become the best by only serving one market, after all. Whether or not you choose a product that can be used on various materials, this is one factor that helps products rank higher.
- Roofing-safe Ingredients: Despite the fact that substances like citric acids and petroleum oils can be damaging to rubber roofs, some products that contain them claim to be “safe and effective” as an RV protectant, sealant, or roof coating. Make sure that you know what products are safe for your roofing surface and stick to those coatings.
- Protective Features: The best RV roof coatings have the most protection features to offer. They should offer protection from standard things like water damage and leaks, as well as UV rays, extreme temperatures, and other elements. The more protection a roof coating offers, the better investment it will be.
- Affordable Pricing: Although people are willing to pay for quality, the best RV roof coatings won’t make you spend a fortune. They will provide a versatile, effective coating solution that is reasonably priced. Plus, DIY products are growing in popularity so the increasing demand for competitive pricing is only going to continue to save you money.
- Convenience and Ease of Application: For the DIYer, convenience is a must in all projects and products. The top 10 brands of RV roof coatings on the market today all offer exactly that: a simple, convenient application that doesn’t take a lot of time and effort.
- Self-Leveling: Although application with a mop or cloth is usually effective at relatively even distribution, it doesn’t always work. Choosing a sealant or coating that self-levels as it dries allows you to avoid pooling, which can lead to worsening damage or leaks down the road. It isn’t necessarily a must-have, but when you are coating an entire roof, or even a large part of it, the self-leveling feature is convenient and provides peace of mind.
According to many RV websites and communities online, the brands that have the best RV roof coatings include:
- Flex Seal
- Kool Seal
However, each brand has its own features and pros and cons to consider. Use the tips provided here to help you find the best roof coatings for your RV, no matter what you have in mind. When chosen carefully, your RV roof coating can provide years of protection from water, weather, heat, UV rays, and other extreme elements. This product essentially works as an all-season protector, keeping your roof looking and working like new despite the elements. For those who travel often and lack covered storage in extreme weather, a roof coating might be the only way to protect their RV roof for the long haul.